As temperatures rise, so does the risk of overheating and becoming dehydrated; this especially holds true for seniors. If you’re looking for some fun and safe summer activities, try out these ideas:
- Gardening using small pots and planters: There are various indoor/outdoor plants such as herbs that are perfect for placing in small planters. If you have a nice shady patio, you could do this outside or set up shop indoors. For an extended craft time, gather some acrylic paint and decorate the pots before adding soil and seeds.
- Go swimming: A summertime favorite, pool time is a great way to cool off and get some exercise! Seniors may enjoy wading or even just sitting on the pool step. Indoor pools are also a great option if you’d prefer to stay out of the sun. If you plan to enjoy pool time outside, be sure to apply sunscreen 30 minutes before heading out and at least every 2 hours. Also, HYDRATE!
- Have a shady picnic: Pack up all your favorites and set up your picnic under a shady tree in your backyard or at a local park. A picnic is a perfect way to enjoy the outdoors without overexerting yourself!
- Explore the local farmer’s market: Farmer’s markets are often fairly covered and a great way to explore and support small local businesses. There are quite a few in the Houston area!
- Start or join a book club: Book clubs are great year-round, as they provide much-needed social time, discussion, and of course, lots of great reads! You can start your own with a group of friends or join one within the community.
We hope these ideas inspire you to take advantage of all that summer has to offer while staying safe!